All Star Fantasy Football League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rookie List - Games Played

3 posters

Go down

Rookie List - Games Played Empty Rookie List - Games Played

Post by croz Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:38 am

OK...how are we going to get a nice list of players who have played 30 games or less in the AFL for the purpose of the Rookie Draft?

For what it is worth...I think 30 games is way too much to be considered a 'Rookie'.

Also, how many coaches do you think will actually get online and select these players on the Saturday following the draft? I see a bad moon on the rise. pale
croz
croz
Admin

Number of posts : 2232
Team Name : Gladiators
Captain : Gary Ablett

http://www.arc.acnrep.com

Back to top Go down

Rookie List - Games Played Empty Re: Rookie List - Games Played

Post by croz Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:05 am

Actually, I think I have found a way.....stay tuned.
croz
croz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Macca Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:12 am

croz wrote:OK...how are we going to get a nice list of players who have played 30 games or less in the AFL for the purpose of the Rookie Draft?

For what it is worth...I think 30 games is way too much to be considered a 'Rookie'.

Also, how many coaches do you think will actually get online and select these players on the Saturday following the draft? I see a bad moon on the rise. pale

Croz...the other coaches had a chance to propose and vote in the forum. We couldn't be any more democratic.
If they choose not to involve themselves in the Rookie Draft, well thats their choice.
As for what your thoughts are regards the games requirement for being a 'rookie'... well you are entitled to your opinion.
The AFL would definitely deem players who have played a little over a season as close to rookie status surely? In fact, I reckon the Rising Star pre-requisite may well be 30 games? Maybe 25.
If we went many games less...most coaches wouldn't know they even played the game.
Macca
Macca
Coach
Coach

Number of posts : 4842
Team Name : Ridgebacks FC
Captain : Ollie Wines

Back to top Go down

Post by croz Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:17 am

Yeah, I guess that is where I see the Rookie Draft differently. I think it should be a list of relative unknowns that may turn into gold and not players that are already known. I mean, if coaches want to draft these players (20+ games) they should have drafted them in their 35. OR, we should have extended the list to 40.

Just my humble opinion.
croz
croz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Macca Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:28 am

Yes, and people will have the chance to draft them to their senior list, prior to the Rookie Draft.
Realistically, the bare bones will be left, and my guess is that most of the players leftover will be very green.
Effectively we have simply extended the list and yet put restrictions on the last 5 players you draft. Its not disimilar to what you have suggested.
Your opinion? Its very important...we need more discussion like this.
But I guess thats what the AGM week was for? Rolling Eyes
Macca
Macca
Coach
Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by Megabonus Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:24 am

take this for what its worth.....

'dont kill the goose that laid the golden egg'...

Croz...the other coaches had a chance to propose and vote in the forum. We couldn't be any more democratic.
If they choose not to involve themselves in the Rookie Draft, well thats their choice.

in essence, there is nothing wrong with this statement but some coaches might resent/disapprove that they are now required to put more work/time/research into this hobby just to remain competitive. it is already obvious that some coaches have lost the 'hunger' for the game and some dont even visit this forum anymore......

if you keep upping the ante it would be easier not to play.....which defeats the purpose of this comp/forum....
Megabonus
Coach
Coach

Number of posts : 2094
Team Name : Raptors
Captain : Dustin 'Jet' Martin

Back to top Go down

Post by croz Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:43 am

Megabonus wrote:
in essence, there is nothing wrong with this statement but some coaches might resent/disapprove that they are now required to put more work/time/research into this hobby just to remain competitive.

But isn't that like everything in life? If you want to be competitive you must be prepared to put in 'more work/time/research'.

However, I do agree that we need to be mindful that not everyone finds it easy to get on the 'net as often as some of us. The Rookie Draft, whilst exciting, worries me.
croz
croz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Megabonus Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:20 am

But isn't that like everything in life?

yes it is croz...but im just mindful of criticising those coaches who have other interests during these holidays (or throughout the year) which prevent them from visiting this forum regularly.....
Megabonus
Coach
Coach

Number of posts : 2094
Team Name : Raptors
Captain : Dustin 'Jet' Martin

Back to top Go down

Post by Macca Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:42 am

Evan: I never criticized anyone for not coming here...but it is what it is...what would change that? We really have tried to accommodate for everyone...we have tried to have the AGM at a set time ("cant get there works too busy") and we have now put it in the school holidays ("cant get there...on holidays").

Hows this, (and its not me disagreeing or being angry)...give us some suggestions on how we can help/make the game more mouldable to people lives?
I see it as a pretty tricky one.

Croz: Think of the rookie draft as simply extending the amount of players picked or lengthening the lists with some minor stipulations.
Macca
Macca
Coach
Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by croz Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:32 am

Macca: Yes, I agree that it is just extending the list...I am all for that. The main issue I have is that I dont think it is fair to expect coaches to get online on the Saturday following he draft and give them 36 hours before they forfeit their picks.

What if the coach is away from home on holidays? what if their computer/internet is down?

I think there is a better way....I/We need to think this through

Pez: I agree very much with your last post Rookie List - Games Played AnzacGallipoli_wideweb__470x313,0
croz
croz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Macca Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:47 am

Well there is nothing wrong with us toying with the application of the Rookie List.

How can we do it in a way that doesn't threaten/make things more difficult for others?
Or do we simply increase the lists by 5?

I dunno...i am confused now. drunken

We need Gerry's or Jase's wise words.
Macca
Macca
Coach
Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:21 pm

How about this:
If coaches want to participate but time is an issue, they can submit a list of rookies to one of the Exec or another member that they trust.
They run the risk of that member skimming some of the list - but it is better than nothing.
The list could consist of any number of players and when the list runs out, they stop participating - even if this means they end up with only 2-3 rookies.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by croz Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:23 am

I considered that. In fact, I thought that is what Andy might need to do for the actual PSD when he has to leave after 40 minutes?

I know (some) coaches are keen to leave immediately after the PSD (after the grizzle about how long it takes) but it seems crazy that during the 1 time of the year when we have everyone together we cant draft another 5 players. This is a maximum of 60 players, so yes it will take longer. Plus, we would then need to have available the list of remaining players who have played under 30 games. I know this has been voted 'in', but it would be far easier to draft only AFL Rookies listed players on to our Rookie list. I could easily find 5 players to ad to my Senior list. Most wont play in 2010, but if you have identified a long term prospect you should be able to keep him on your Rookie list until such time as he plays Senior footy.
croz
croz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:05 am

I think you may have answered your own question.
If people grizzle now, an extra five players will add to the grizzle.

I would suggest that we leave things as is for the moment and see how it goes this year.

Like anything, once we have experienced the process, we can change/add/delete the constitution at the end of the year to make it work better.

I personally am salivating at the prospect of picking up and holding onto some potential young guns.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum